Friday, September 16, 2011

Cutting the first key

I figured out my situation for cutting the bars. I was going to get a metal cutting blade for a miter saw, but they were so expensive. Then I tried using a reciprocating saw, but it was too inaccurate and scratched up the surrounding area on the key. And then I tried just using a hack saw, which actually worked quite well. It will just take longer that way, and be a killer on my arm.

 Here is my first cut line using a hack saw.

After cutting the bar, I grind the ends smoother.

And here is my first cut key (F6/highest pitch), before any tuning at all.

This is the first step in initial tuning. I drill dents into the center of the bar, check the pitch and then drill more and more until I reach the desired pitch. It's a little more complicated than that though. And then I ran out of time to finish the key.



No comments:

Post a Comment