Monday, September 12, 2011

Intro

This is where I'll show updates on making my homemade 3 octave vibraphone. It's sounds pretty crazy, but I've done a ton of research. I bought a set of plans that I'm going to use as a basic guideline. http://www.buildavibraphone.com/ But I'm planning on using different bar dimensions. This could be a very long, drawn out process, but hopefully not.

I actually was able to buy some stock aluminum through Amazon with free shipping, and I'm waiting for my first order to arrive, which should be this Wednesday.

If anyone wants to offer advice or wants to come help out, I would greatly appreciate it, a lot!

5 comments:

  1. You are such a cool person for even trying to do this! I am impressed! And I have full confidence in you to actually make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bar measurements did you end up using? I really like the tone of your vibe in one of your videos. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used widths of 2.25", 2", 1.75", and 1.625". Most modern vibes go down to 1.5" width on the higher notes. At the time only 1.625" was available from the place I bought from so I just went with it. For the lengths I followed the measurements in Jim McCarthy's guide. It's pretty similar to any other vibe out there like Adams or Yamaha.

      Delete
  3. Hello Conner, first of all, thanks for all the useful info. you give here. Just a doubt about the bar measurments, whats the thickness of the bars? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi José, glad it's useful to you! All of my bars are 0.5 inch thick. You could also use a thickness of as low as 10mm. There would be even less work required to tune them in that case.

      Delete