Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Drilling String Holes

At this point I can finish out tuning all of the keys. Using my new A-Frame I positioned all the keys and amazingly everything fit perfectly on the A-Frame using the measurements from the template. I didn't have to make any changes. String has proven to be a really useful tool for lining things up. I used string to mark the center point between the naturals and accidentals, and also to mark the center of each beam to mark where to screw in the screw eyes I'll be using to suspend the bars and string.






Luckily I didn't have to redraw the drill hole lines on the bars. I bought a drill press vise from Harbor Freight Tools because I didn't trust myself drilling holes at angles while holding the bar with my hand. It took a while to correctly position the vise so that the drill bit enters at the correct angles.




All bars now have string holes drilled and countersinked. Next up is fine tuning, which will take a good bit of time to complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment