Thursday, August 13, 2015

Initial Tuning Complete

The most time consuming and monotonous task of the project is now complete. For all bars the fundamental and first overtones are tuned to about 30 cents sharp of their desired pitch. For the highest 7 bars (B5-F6) I only tuned the fundamental pitch. Eventually the first overtone becomes too high to tune without a stroboscopic tuner and you won't really even notice when it's being played.

Next I will be purchasing the wood and other hardware to construct the frame. I haven't decided which type of wood to use yet.  After I build the A-frame then I will drill the string holes in the bars, finish their surface, and then fine tune to their exact pitch. I have to build the A-frame first so I get the holes drilled at the correct positions and angle so all the string holes line up correctly.



2 comments:

  1. Freaking crazy! Can't wait to see and hear the finished project.

    ReplyDelete